Sunday, March 28, 2010

Fear Experiment Unfolded

Experiment Steps
1) Have class stand up
2) Physically touch each person and bring them into a circle faced right
3) Hold 2 - 3 minutes
4) Count off 1, 2, 1, 2, 1, etc – If they’ve not been in military, may not get this right and may become uncomfortable (fear of mistakes, public embarrassment)
5) Alternately face each other ("2's" turn around)
6) Put right hand on shosulder of person in front of them
7) Hold 2 - 3 minutes
8) End – do not explain experiment to further the unknown

"On-the-fly" Experiment Changes
#2 controlled verbally, not physically
- Instead of physically repositioning them with my touch, I had them do a side step twice. This would make them come closer to each other in a uniform way, which I believed would increase their tension. I believed this would increase the anxiety, because it was an unknown and incremental change.

#4 controlled physically not verbally
- I switched these because I re-thought my design shown above. I believed that there would be greater impact of my physical touch when they were already a little uncomfortable.

Hypothesis
The students will become uncomfortable with the close proximity to each other. This will stem from one or more causes. Some students may actually be haphephobic (fearful of being touched). Other reasons for discomfort are the personal space bubble being invaded, fear of embarrassment by mistake, bad breath, or saying the wrong thing in a public setting. They will exhibit this discomfort in a variety of ways (see Hypothetical Observations below).

I will become uncomfortable / anxious when placed in a “spotlight” role. I will be fearful of making mistakes, stumbling over words, and looking “foolish.” I will exhibit my anxiety by becoming slightly flushed in the neck and chest, increased heart-rate, temporary “word amnesia” and mild sweating. Self fulfilling prophecy, huh?

Hypothetical Observations

  • Shifting movements
  • Nervous laughter
  • Inappropriate joking
  • Pulling away
  • Dirty looks

Some students may also exhibit the following:

  • Sweating (possibly profuse)
  • Signs of anxiety that I cannot directly monitor (increased heart rate, racing thoughts, increased breathing rate)
  • Angry outbursts

Actual Observations

  • Two people would not fully commit to circle. Put in one foot only, maintaining their 18" bubble.
  • When they didn't have to look at each other the timbre of the laughter and joking was lighter. When they turned to face each other, it got louder, almost cacophonous.
  • The longer I left them in any position, the louder they got.
  • Shifting movements to include: eyes, feet, hands.
  • Some immediately pulled away from my touch.
  • One person “straight armed” the person opposite when told to put hand on shoulder. The subject refused to let anyone within the “bubble.”
  • There was a significant amount of inappropriate joking.
  • I did not notice any dirty looks.
  • I did notice quizzical looks, indicating they were trying to figure out what I was doing and why. Some didn't like not knowing is my supposition. One student kept asking, as if he couldn’t “rest” until he knew.
  • I noticed wiping of hands, indicating sweating.
  • No angry outbursts were noted.
  • Only one set of 2 consistently looked each other in the eyes. All others looked down and away (mostly to the outside of the circle, or open space).
  • One unexpected response was anxiety AFTER release from circle, not during.

Proposed Changes

  • I should have asked if anyone experienced increased heart-rate, breathing or other signs of anxiety
  • I could have touched them longer to possibly get dirty looks
  • I could have gone longer in each position to possibly get outbursts of frustration or anger

My Strongest Reaction
I reacted the strongest to Anthony's experiment. My father had several serious detached retina occurances about 20 years ago. Because the first one was not caught in time by an incompetant optometrist, my dad lost most of his sight out of one eye. He, like Anthony, has trouble with depth perception and has had to adjust his life due to his change in sight. Since I volunteered for the experiment, it reminded me of what my dad has to go through all the time.

With all that said, my purpose was really selfish. I wanted to show how most people react predictably when put in to an uncomfortable experience. The body's reaction to fear is the same, but with varying intensity, no matter what the source of the fear. I may just laugh unexpectedly if I am mildly fearful, or scream if I am terrified. These are the same reactions, just at varying levels. No matter who you are, millionaire or homeless, student or teacher, fear and our reaction to it is a commonality. I placed myself into the experiment to show to myself that no matter what the perceived differences between us, there are many more similarities. When we forget these similarities, no matter what they are, we fail to be human.

1 comment:

  1. I was mildly uncomfortable, but I'm glad you did the experiment. When else are we going to have the opportunity to be that close to the people we know?. I've been impressed with you're work. I hope you get as much out of doing as I do watching it. Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete